I’m a writer, editor, and website manager in Portland, Oregon. Recent doings, clips, and other stuff:
- My last name is a little hard to spell.
- I had a piece called “Principles of Cost-Effective Candy Extraction” in McSweeney’s.
- From time to time I write for an online magazine named The Nervous Breakdown.
- Stuff I’ve written for O’Reilly Media (That’s Tim O’Reilly, not Baba O’Reilly, or Bill O’Reilly)
- I wrote about a solar highway project for the Oregon Department of Transportation was the cover story Rebuilding America’s Infrastructure
- I co-authored this feature in Roads and Bridges on a road project in central Oregon with wildlife tunnels.
- My attempt to write the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels (a.k.a. the Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest) — anthologized in a book.
- Speaking of books, a link to the incredibly obscure academic book I coauthored a long time ago
- I wrote a newspaper column for four years. Many of my old columns are still online, thanks to the Internet Archive. See The Ethernaut page for more.
E-mail me: johnochwat <at> gmail